Sunday, September 30, 2012

Good Greetings, A Plea For Forgiveness

Good greetings, dear readers, I do thank thee for visiting this site once again.

Alas, I hath not posted much recently.

I for thy forgiveness; I beg thee to have compassion for those who are busy and cannot post as much as they usually do, such as yours truly.

I've been speaking with an eloquent tongue recently. You'll find this post to be quite bombastic, perhaps arcane to those of you who do not indulge in Shakespearean literature as often as I do. I do find it quite disheartening that many of my peers cannot comprehend the Anglo-Saxon way of speaking with as much ease as I do, and show no interest in pursuing further knowledge and expanding their vocabulary.

I do apologize, those of you who are more experienced and knowledgeable in the ways of speaking will likely find faults with my sentence structure.

But of course, this post must continue on. I shall make up for thy troubles by sharing a few words with thee.

Words coined by William Shakespeare:
  • accommodation (Othello) 
  • accused (n.) (Richard II -- first known use as a noun, meaning person accused of a crime)
  • addiction (Henry V / Othello)
  • admirable (several; seems unlikely)
  • advertising (adj.)(Measure for Measure; in context, means "being attentive"; the noun was already in use)
  • aerial (Othello)
  • amazement (13 instances; first known use as a noun)
  • anchovy (I Henry IV; first attestation in English of the Spanish word for dried edible fish)
  • bandit (II Henry VI, actually "bandetto", the first attestation in English of a familiar Italian word for people "banned", i.e., outlaws)
  • bedroom (A Midsummer Night's Dream, merely means a place to sleep on the ground)
  • cold-blooded (King John; first use to mean "lack of emotion")
  • coldhearted (Antony and Cleopatra)
  • countless (Titus Andronicus / Pericles)
  • critic (Love's Labour's Lost; Latin term)
  • distasteful (Timon of Athens)
  • embrace (I Henry VI; first use as a noun)
  • excitement (Hamlet / Troilus and Cressida; both times as plural; first use as a noun)
  • fashionable (Timon of Athens / Troilus and Cressida)
  • half-blooded (King Lear)
  • hint (Othello, first use in today's sense)
Well, there are plenty but it doth be quite tiresome for me to search for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'M LONELY. You don't even have to sign in as anyone, you could troll the heck out of this blog if you really want to. Even if your comments are irrelevant or you start a comment war with yourself I don't mind.

I'd love to hear from you!